15 Homemade Christmas Gifts That Aren’t Cheesy

Back1 of 16Next

Bust out the craft supplies, not the wallet, this Christmas by making gifts for your friends and family—fun for you to create, and fun for them to receive. This is the best way to give one-of-a-kind gifts your loved ones will treasure. Get inspired with these awesome DIY gift ideas:

15 Homemade Christmas Gifts that Aren't Cheesy

Back1 of 16Next

37 comments for “15 Homemade Christmas Gifts That Aren’t Cheesy

1. Natalie
    October 16, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Looks like the DIY Daddy Daughter frame came from this post at Baste & Gather: http://basteandgather.com/happy-fathers-day-and-a-scrabble-tiles-diy/

2. polly
    October 19, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Do you know if this can be done with glass?

3. Terri
    October 28, 2015 at 11:45 am

would it not be ” Grandkids make life..” and not ” ..makes…” ??

4. kristin crooks
    November 2, 2015 at 12:02 am

to meg reiser how do you make the ornament with lace please email me the directions my email is: boyne 0329 @ gmail.com thank you

5. Sara D.
    November 8, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Your definition of ‘not cheesy’ and mine don’t seem to overlap. In three month’s time this mushroom in a jar thing will be relegated to a drawer of forgettable gifts. And the grandchildren board of pictures with the pasted on flowers (and a grammatical error) looks like the kind of thing you see bins full of at the dollar store.

• Jenny
      August 31, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Wow, was this even necessary? I know my mom would love the Grandkids wall hanging. And as for grammatical errors, you would just change them if you made the project. Harsh much?

6. sandy
    November 10, 2015 at 9:41 am

The sharpie mugs are cute but regular Sharpies will wash off–you have to use Sharpies PAINT markers

• Okivia
      October 23, 2016 at 12:14 am

Not if you bake them!

7. November 11, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Can use all of the ideas!!!

8. Claudia
    November 13, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Yikes…receiving something home made from a kid in school is far better than an adult doing a home made craft unless it is something no one else can do. Thumbs down on the ideas.

9. Theresa
    November 14, 2015 at 4:33 am

Cute. My favorite is “family birthday reminder” Tks 2 all of cool crafters.

10. Charlotte
    November 15, 2015 at 11:54 pm

@Sandy, who said that regular Sharpies will wash off. You can bake the mugs in the oven at 350 degF for 30 to 45 minutes and they should work just fine.

11. Kim Frederick
    November 19, 2015 at 7:46 am

Regular sharpies work!!! We made these for our kids 10 years ago and they’ve been through the dishwasher dozens of times…and are still perfect.

12. Nikki
    November 19, 2015 at 3:03 pm

You can’t use normal Sharpie markers on mugs, they wash off right away. You have to buy the paint sharpies for it to stick and look nice.

13. Echo
    November 21, 2015 at 5:21 pm

what is the recipe for those cute pink bars??? Please – they look interesting

14. Mainegarden
    November 21, 2015 at 6:12 pm

The snow globe idea is a cute way to give a (waterproof) gift card. Glue the card standing on end with a decoration and it is a wrapped gift!

15. Diane
    November 22, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Hi please can you tell me how much water is added thankyou x

16. Karen
    November 23, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Where can I obtain the Grandkids plaque, its adorable.

17. Sherry
    November 23, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Hi I am very new to using pinterest and don’t seem to know how to locate the directions for the DIY quick read in a jar. Could you please help me :)
    Thank You Very Much!!

18. Theresa
    November 25, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Claudia, you sound spoiled. These are absolutely amazing ideas. Can’t wait to try them out. I would love to receive any of these gifts myself. Its not the gift, its the thought behind it.

19. Anonymous
    November 27, 2015 at 2:40 am

Homemade soap sounds pretty awesome – will try it :) And keep up the awesome work this is a great site.

The X Class – A Success Blog

20. Jess
    November 27, 2015 at 5:00 am

No, the sharpies won’t work, you have to use a ceramic paint marker. I’ve done these before, the sharpie will wear off no matter how long you bake it or how careful you are. If you’re going to do it, invest in the pain marker so it really will last.

21. Michelle
    November 29, 2015 at 4:44 am
  22. Melissa
    December 2, 2015 at 5:27 pm

FYI about the DIY Mugs: Sharpie will change color in the oven! And they are not dishwasher safe, the ink eventually rubs off. We made these mugs last year for grandparents.
    Here is another idea:
    -Clean the mugs with rubbing alcohol
    -Use enamel pens
    -Seal them with dishwasher safe modge podge.

23. Rachel
    December 4, 2015 at 7:58 pm

yep, regular sharpies will wear off and pretty quickly. I have first hand experience with it. Doesn’t matter if you hand wash or dishwasher, regular sharpies will not last.

24. Diane
    December 8, 2015 at 12:10 am

SHERRY: Just above the picture of the jar is a short blip on it. It apparently appeared in SUNSET magazine because if you click on the word “sunset” printed in red, it will take you to the instructions. Hope this helps.

25. December 8, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Thanks for ideas!

To the person complaining about adults making gifts, I make tons of my gifts each year, and it makes people happy. But I match the gift to the person, choose projects I know I can do an excellent job on, buy quality materials, and then do my very best.

In fact, several of my friends love the sugar scrubs I make so much that they tell me repeatedly how much they enjoy them throughout the year! Taking the hint, I’m making them again this year—for the third year in a row.

26. colleen
    December 13, 2015 at 1:39 pm

regular sharpies WILL wash off EVEN IF BAKED. my daughter made me a glass mug and baked it and after washing in dishwasher i had just a glass mug….so sad!

27. Cathy
    December 14, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Can you tell me the name of the font that you used for the grandkids plaque? I just purchased a cricut explore one and would love to make this.

28. Johanna
    December 18, 2015 at 4:28 am

From the tutorials I’ve read you can use regular markers and do the bake thing and it’ll hold up when hand washed. But if you use a dishwasher they’ll wash off. But the oil based ones, when baked, will stick, even through the dishwasher.

29. Carol
    December 21, 2015 at 5:03 am

I think that receiving home made gifts are the best!! Thoughtful ideas, instead of purchasing something that they will return.

30. Barbara
    December 21, 2015 at 5:10 pm

This article clearly states these items are DIY…Do It YOURSELF! How foolish some people are: you spelled a word wrong; it’s the wrong tense. Where can I purchase this? You make these yourself!

31. April 2, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Don’t do it with sharpies unless they are paint pens. It comes off in the dish washers.

32. Angel wings
    October 7, 2016 at 12:36 am

I make home made gifts a lot. I do make sure to use good quality material and grab each gift to the recipient… they all love them… I do anything from painting to monkey bread.. gifts in a jar to home made candy in a tin… it’s all in the thot behind the gift. Keep the ideas coming 😊